The Jewish service learning theme for Monday, January 17th is environmentalism and Tu B'Shevat. Teens will have the opportunity to volunteer in the Jewish community garden, weeding, pruning, and planting for the next harvest!
Congregation Beth Shalom
1325 S. Belcher Road
Clearwater, Florida 33764
- Rabbi Danielle Upbin - 727-510-0907
- Rabbi David Weizman - 727-460-4627
Schedule (entire event taking place at Congregation Beth Shalom):
- 1:00 pm 'Getting to Know You' activity and Jewish/service learning
- 1:15 pm Volunteering in the Jewish community garden at Congregation Beth Shalom
- 2:50 pm Debrief experience as a group to close the program
- 3:00 pm Pick-up at Congregation Beth Shalom
- Reusable bottle of water
- Clothes that can get dirty
- Sneakers that can get dirty
- Gardening gloves (if you have them)
- Non-perishable snack
- Bright Futures volunteer form
* We are not having lunch together, so please make sure your teen has lunch prior to arriving at 1:00 pm
If you have not done so, please complete the form TODAY if your teen is participating in the January program and by February 1st if your teen is participating in the March and/or May program. Teens will not be able to participate without this form completed and returned on time. You will only need to complete one form per family. CLICK HERE to complete the required form!
If you have any questions for me, please contact Erica Hruby: firstname.lastname@example.org
What: Teen Mitzvah Corps
Who: 8th-12th grade Jewish teens in Pinellas, Pasco, and Hernando Counties
What: Join this brand new community-wide service learning initiative through the Jewish Federation of Florida's Gulf Coast, in partnership with Pinellas County congregations. This initiative includes the following components:
- Community service: teens participate in hands-on projects that address local human and community needs
- Issue-based learning: teens gain an understanding of the issue(s) each agency serves, learn about the local needs and impact, and participate in a reflection exercise
- Jewish learning: teens connect service and learning with Jewish text and values
- Advocacy training: teens explore ways to take a stand on issues locally and nationally
- Socialization: teens engage with each other in fun and meaningful ways in order to build connections with teens throughout the community
When (save the dates!):
Monday, January 17th (MLK, Jr. Day) morning/afternoon
Sunday, March 27th afternoon
Sunday, May 15th afternoon
Where: Information about which organizations we are working with is coming soon!
- There is always food involved!
- Teens will receive 2x Bright Futures service hours for learning and volunteer pieces
- End of year gathering for all Teen Mitzvah Corps participants
To sign up, visit https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSecI8rIzcfa8e1tS9nVioUydWxeZ3m7iu_FAcauyFy9ypgGSg/viewform. For more information about the Teen Mitzvah Corps, contact Erica Hruby at email@example.com or call 407-733-9088.